Currently, the Beginning Wedding & Event Video Training programs are held twice a year in San Diego, California. Dates for the boot camps will be listed on the “Upcoming Events” page as they become available.
INTRODUCTION - WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE BUSINESS
- Setting up your business
- Steps required to set up your business from recording the name to getting a license.
- Choosing a name for your business.
- Items you will need for your office.
- Choosing Equipment
- Different types of video cameras on the market and which may be the best for your needs.
- Editing systems available.
- We’ll explain the different types of microphones and the pros & cons of each.
- Other equipment you may need to purchase.
- Setting up your Equipment
- How to set up the equipment.
- Different types of connectors you’ll need to be familiar with.
- How to hook up your microphones to your camera.
- How to use the Equipment
- How to use the camera from adjusting settings to composing shots.
- When to use a tripod.
- How and when to use lighting.
- How to edit.
- Getting Experience
- How to get some “hands-on” experience to be better prepared for videotaping weddings.
- How to find other videographers to learn from.
- Where to find actual events you can practice on.
- Marketing and Advertising – Getting clients
- Researching your market to find out what your competitors are doing.
- Determining what services to offer.
- How to price your services.
- Different methods of advertising and the pros and cons of each.
- Secrets to a creating a demo video that will bring you clients.
- How & where to schedule them.
- How to “break the ice” and build rapport with potential clients.
- Important questions to ask and questions to avoid.
- Determining what your customers want.
- Writing up the contract: what clauses to include to protect yourself.
- Pre-production planning
- What you need to know for videotaping the wedding day and how to prepare for it.
- Should you attend the rehearsal?
- How to locate additional camera operators when you need them.
- Using questionnaires to help you plan the shoot.
- Meeting the wedding coordinator and questions to ask.
- Figuring out where to set up your equipment.
- Day of the Wedding - Pre-ceremony
- What time to arrive.
- How to set up your equipment and making any necessary adjustments to your camera position/s.
- What should be videotaped prior to the ceremony.
- Setting up and recording audio.
- The Ceremony
- How to videotape the ceremony.
- How to capture all of the different events.
- How to decide what sounds to record and how to do it.
- Additional cultural or religious activities to be aware of.
- Which camera is responsible for capturing each activity and why.
- After the Ceremony
- What to tape after the ceremony.
- Should you pose the couple and when.
- The Reception
- Preparations for videotaping the reception.
- Key activities to capture.
- Absolute “must have” shots.
- How to capture the best sound possible.
- How to record interviews or messages from guests.
- How to videotape dancing to keep it interesting.
- Editing the video
- What you should leave in, what to take out, how to put everything together smoothly.
- What kind of music to use. Laws concerning the use of music.
- Pacing and how to incorporate interviews, when applicable.
- Editing tips and shortcuts.
- Editing long form vs. short form videos & pros/cons of each.
- Should you give your client the raw footage or not.
- How to edit a recap.
- Packaging and delivering the video
- How to make the packaging for the video look professional.
- How to design your own covers.
- Which DVD format to use.
- Should you use labels on your DVDs.
- Authored vs. unauthored DVDs.
- What about VHS copies?
- We'll also cover
- What other types of events you can videotape; how to book them and how to shoot them.
- Types of possible add-on sales and how to sell them and why are they important?
- Generating referral business.
- How to handle difficult customers.
- How to talk to your customers when a problem arises.
- How to keep customers from taking advantage of you.
- You'll also receive
- Camera Command Training DVD.
- Advanced Broadcast Camera Techniques Volumes 1 & 2 DVDs.
- Wedding Training Manual.